b. 1952, Beirut, Lebanon
- Studies at the Byam Shaw School of Art in London.
- Studies at the Slade School of Fine Art in London.
- Hatoum's installation The Light at the End is shown at the Showroom in London and Oboro Gallery in Montreal.
- Participates in the IV Bienal de La Habana in Havana, Cuba.
- The Musée National d'Art Moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris presents the exhibition Mona Hatoum.
Hatoum's work is included in the exhibition Sense and Sensibility: Women and Minimalism in the Nineties at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
- Shortlisted for the Turner Prize, awarded by the Tate Gallery in London.
Participates in the XLVI Biennale di Venezia and the 4th International Istanbul Biennial.
White Cube in London presents Mona Hatoum: Socle du Monde.
- Viafarini in Milan presents Quarters: Mona Hatoum, and the Fabric Workshop and Museum in Philadelphia presents Mona Hatoum New Work.
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago presents an exhibition dedicated to the artist's work, which later travels to the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York.
Hatoum's work is included in Sensation: Young British Artists from the Saatchi Collection at the Royal Academy of Arts in London. The exhibition later travels to the Hamburger Bahnhof in Berlin and Brooklyn Museum of Art in New York.
- The Kunsthalle Basel and the Museum of Modern Art in Oxford present exhibitions of the artist's work; the latter exhibition travels to the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh.
Participates in the XXIV Bienal de São Paulo.
- Exhibitions of Hatoum's work are held at Le Creux de l'Enfer in Thiers, France, and Castello di Rivoli in Turin.
- Frac Champagne-Ardenne in Reims, France; Museum van Hedendaagse Kunst Antwerpen in Antwerp; Tate Britain in London; fig-1 in London; and SITE Santa Fe present exhibitions of Hatoum's work.
- Mass MoCA in North Adams, Massachusetts, presents the exhibition Mona Hatoum: Domestic Disturbance, and Sala Mendoza in Caracas presents Mona Hatoum.
- Exhibitions of the artist's work are held at White Cube in London; Centro de Arte de Salamanca in Salamanca, Spain; Centro Galego de Arte Contemporáneo in Santiago de Compostela, Spain; and Laboratorio Arte Alameda in Mexico City.
Participates in Documenta XI in Kassel.
- An exhibition of Hatoum's work opens at the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Oaxaca in Oaxaca, Mexico, and later travels to Exconvento de Conkal in Yucatán, Mexico.
- The Hamburger Kunsthalle in Hamburg presents the exhibition Mona Hatoum, which later travels to the Kunstmuseum Bonn and Magasin 3 Stockholm Konsthall.
- A retrospective of the artist's work is held at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney, Australia.
Participates in the LI Biennale di Venezia.
- White Cube in London and Galerie Max Hetzler in Berlin present exhibitions of the artist's work.
Participates in the 15th Biennale of Sydney in Sydney, Australia.
- Parasol Unit Foundation for Contemporary Art in London presents Mona Hatoum: Present Tense.
Exhibitions of Hatoum's work also take place at Galerie Chantal Crousel in Paris and Galerie Max Hetzler in Berlin.
- The exhibition Mona Hatoum: Measures of Entanglement is held at the Ullens Center for Contemporary Art in Beijing.
The Fondazione Merz in Turin presents Mona Hatoum: Natura Morta, and the Fondazione Querini Stampalia in Venice presents Mona Hatoum: Interior Landscape.
Alexander and Bonin in New York shows recent work by the artist.
- Mona Hatoum: Le Grande Monde is presented at the Fundación Botín in Santander, Spain.
Receives the Käthe-Kollwitz-Preis, awarded by the Akademie der Künste in Berlin. An exhibition of the artist's work is organized in conjunction with the award presentation.
- Receives the Premio Joan Miró, awarded by the Fundació Joan Miró.
Presents new work at Alexander and Bonin in New York.
Work by Hatoum is included in the exhibitions The Luminous Interval: The D.Daskalopoulos Collection at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and Heroines at the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid.