On the occasion of the International Exhibition of Art and Technology in Modern Life held in 1937 in Paris, the City of Paris decided to create a museum dedicated to modern art with the goal of configuring and building up a collection devoted to the artistic movements of the twentieth century. Thanks to Dr. Maurice Girardin’s bequest of over three hundred works of art, MAM’s collection began to take shape over the years in the left wing of the Palais de Tokyo. Finally, in 1961, the Musée d’Art Moderne de Paris opened its doors to the public.
In 2013, the MAM became part of Paris Musées, a museum network that includes fourteen public museums of the city of Paris. At present, MAM’s collection comprises 15,000 pieces, and its diversity and uniqueness make it a benchmark in the cultural life of the city.
External view of the Musée d’Art Moderne de Paris, 1937
© Pierre Jahan/Roger-Viollet