The Ladies of Boisgeloup
In 1930, Picasso bought the Château de Boisgeloup, converted one of its stables into a studio, and for the first time had a large space where he could work on his sculpture. Plaster became his favorite material, and the physiognomy of the young Marie-Thérèse Walter inspired many of the works produced during that period. Displayed in this gallery are three variations of the bust of Marie-Thérèse created in 1931. Two of them, initially made in plaster in 1931, are seen here in the cement versions presented in the Spanish Pavilion at the Paris International Exhibition of 1937.